Barnala (Punjabi:ਬਰਨਾਲਾ) is one of the districts of Indian state of Punjab. Prior to 2011 Barnala was part of Sangrur district. It is a centrally located district bordered by Ludhiana district on the north, Moga district on northwest, Bathinda district on west and by Sangrur district on all other sides. The current MLA of the district is Mr Kewal Singh Dhillon. As of 2011 it is the least populous district of Punjab (out of 22).
- The Deputy Commissioner (DC), an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service, is the overall in-charge of the General Administration in the district. Currently Mr Gurloveleen Singh Sidhu, IAS is Deputy Commissioner of Barnala District. He is assisted by a number of officers belonging to Punjab Civil Service and other state services.
- The Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues of the district. Currently Mr Opinderjit Singh is the Sr Supdt of Police. He has joined two days ago.He is expected to maintain very cordial relations with all the NGOs and Social Associations of the city. He is assisted by the officers of the Punjab Police Service and other Punjab Police officials.
- Indian Red Cross Society (IRC). Red Cross is globally accredited for its presence in providing quality health care services and always extends a helping hand to the needy. Indian Red Cross Society (IRC), Barnala District Branch is having Mr Raj Kumar Jindal as its Hony. Secretary. Patrons, Life Members and volunteers of the Society recently attended a “Seminar on Fund Raising and Capacity Building” at Ferozepur (the border town of Punjab)on 26 April 2011. Dr Raj Kumar Jindal led the delegation.
- The District Public Relations Officer(DPRO). He is responsible for Public Relations of the State Govt. as well as the District Administrations. He issues and authorises Press Notes to the Print and Electronic Media of the District. Maintains records of all press and electronic channel reporters. Currently Mr Gurmeet Singh Khaira is DPRO of Barnala District.
- The Divisional Forest Officer(DFO), an officer belonging to the Indian Forest Service is responsible for managing the Forests, environment and wild-life related issues of the district. He is assisted by the officers of the Punjab Forest Service and other Punjab Forest officials and Punjab Wild-Life officials. Sectoral development is looked after by the district head of each development department such as PWD, Agriculture, Health, Education and Animal husbandry. These officers belong to various State Services.
- The District Informatic Officer(DIO), a head of National Informatics Center. This department works regarding the E-Governance and other Technology-based Services that provides an automated environment to do the various tasks in District Office. Currently Mr. Neeraj Garg is DIO.